Saturday 1 March 2014

The Best Goodbyes

Hindsight will definitely be the best way to look at my time in Bavaria.
Stranded in Bavaria
As the train pulled out of Cham (ironically pronounced ‘calm’ – something I generally was not during my time in the forest), I felt largely a sense of relief that my assistantship had ended. Flowers and various Bavarian goodies were bestowed upon me in the staffroom of Bad Kötzting, a full-blown interview for the local newspaper was arranged, and a table at the Chinese Buffet was reserved for my leaving party. Due to all of the fuss, they are some of the least painful – and best – Goodbyes I have had to say this year. The past 6 months have really highlighted how small the small world is, and I know that there is always a place for me here for a weekend. Saying goodbye to good friends who I will hopefully see again one day was comparatively less painful than snatched hugs at Sheffield station, Munich airport, or my grandparents’ living room. The image of Stephan and Werner, my gay German parents, waving me off on the driveway, with the cat in their arms, will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment