Wednesday 4 June 2014

6 Girls 1 Hauptstadt

There is simply too much fun to be put into words for this visit, so this post is a simplified version of 4 excellent days.

It began with a thunderstorm. The rain had seiged my boots minutes after leaving the flat, and the lightening was so flashy that I had qualms about taking the underground (my part of the underground is actually overground, high up on metal poles). Anyway, I ventured outside, without putting my umbrella up, as that was also cause for angst (metal pole, high in the sky). 

1)What we Ate (or rather, what DIDN'T we eat)
A cafe between Potsdamer Platz and Tiergarten, with massive cakes, massive sausages and a snappy waitress.
Dinner at Vapiano in Potsdamer Platz: yummy italian made in front of you
All of the cakes from the Turkish bakery on Oranienstrasse, including bread made of clouds (Kudos to Anna for this metaphor, secret English student).

2)What we Saw
Thanks to Jenny for this one
The Reichstag, where we queued to get our allocated time slot for 10 minutes. (This was amazing, as when I tried later in the week, the queue was 2 HOURS).
The Brandenburg Tor (there were lots of gates like this but then they were all destroyed, leaving this one as a symbol of Berlin. When Napoleon was victorious he rode through the gate like HEY I'VE GOT YOU NOW, and in the DDR-Time the East German government took down the little statue dude on the top, but now a new one is in its place). 
The Berlin Music Video Awards, which included a song about well, periods, while backing dancers waved red ribbons around. Hosted in giant shipping containers and serving fab cocktails all night. 
Jewish Museum: Conveniently, I had a class excursion there, so while the others ran around waving at me/ embarrassing me in front of ALL my friends, I had a dreary tour in German. The tour was so bad that our lecturer yelled at the tour guide. 

Photo credit to Anna
3)What we didn't do
Get into KitKat club: the long queue led to cheap champage, which led to injuries, which led to my forehead spending a lot of time with a bag of frozen vegetables. 
Sunbathe: I promised swimming in a pool in the river (Badeschiff); my promises were rewarded with more rain. 

4) Navigating Berlin
In the rain.
Chasing Night Buses.
The girls shared a 5 person day card, which, with so many people, was way cheaper than buying a Welcome Card each.






The best things about having visitors (apart from appearing knowledgeable about corresponding city) is feeling like you are on holiday too, and being able to chill with people you already know and love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment