Monday 27 October 2014

The Bluffer's Guide to Berlin (part 1, all things Berlin)

A lot has changed from my first whirlwind of a day here, exactly three weeks ago. I have just read back on my last post and I adore my amazement at all things Berlin, especially that people listened to my German. Here is just a tiny post on how things are different now from my first besotted impressions. 

I now have a hat. My ever-complimentary friend Blythe says it is very Breaking Bad-esque, which offends me, because I am not a man. Anyway, when I'm walking/ jogging home after night out, falafel in hand, I like to think it makes me invincible to all possible night-time predators.

The U-bahn; I was so amazed with the u-bahn! I swore I would never need a bike, or set foot on a bus, or even think about another mode of transport. I have very quickly fallen out of love with the underground. It's very cramped, and sometimes, I could walk faster than it takes me to get to some areas of Berlin. Sometimes there are dogs. Once, when Lauren came to stay last week, a cat was in a box, and it pooed in said box. The owner had to run off with the cat wrapped around his neck like a snake. In the week, trains stop at around 12am, resulting in mad dashes searching for those infamous blue 'U' signs, or long journeys home involving the tram. Nevertheless, I do love it when there are buskers on the train (it should be a full time job).
Currywurst at Mauerpark

MY GERMAN (this deserves capitals because it is so non-existent). I feel like this Guardian article here. Even in class, all conversations are initiated in English, which is very much my fault. Now that I am out of the Bavarian Forest, and surrounded by people who can understand my jokes, I seem to gravitate towards English-speaking people, even when they are actually Austrian!

On a more positive note, I am living in a bustling Bezirk*, as they say auf Deutsch, with amazing, amazing food. I ate bread in Bavaria and got fat. Here I am going to eat from all the countries in the world, and attend yoga on Thursday mornings. Also, I am going through a bit of a burger phase, so here is my current top two favourite burger offerings:
The hat

Burgermeister! A renovated public toilets lounging underneath Schlesisches Tor U-Bahn, it offers top value burgers and cheapy cheap chips. We sat on old beer bottle containers which resulted in a zig-zag imprint on my bum, but it was still worth it. Some would even say edgy.

Hasir Burger: They own 6 restaurants in Berlin, and several in the Kottbusser Tor side of Kreuzberg, but they're not all selling burgers (some are turkish food I think, but I am yet to try). However, their burger restaurant is fab, with picnic tables outside and AMAZING wedges and chips. They cook on an actual barbecue too, which is the ultimate taste of summer.

*your area, 'in my Bezirk'; your endz etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment