Sunday 26 October 2014

What happened in Bavaria?! Part II

     'We didn't think you would come.'
I must have done something right at one point
     On my first day at school, I was greeted by this compliment. What she was trying to say about British reliability I am not sure, but I took it as something positive; that the worst was over, now I was here and we could go on as if the doubting never happened.
     The doubting did not stop happening. About 6 weeks into term, I asked if I could set up an after-school club for English. 'My own lessons!' I thought, 'Now I can do what I came here to do!'
     Oh no. It was never going to be that simple. 
     On the week before, I designed a beautiful poster, specifying the time and date I had been given. I found some fancy pictures of the Union Jack off Google images. I printed the posters not only on white paper, but also on yellow card. Lesson plans were made, fun 'ice-breakers' researched. I was ready to go.
     The day of after-school class came, and, dressed in my most authoritative get-up (jeans and a jumper or else the Germans get confused at the output of effort into outfit selections), I strolled along to class H.13. H.13 was harder to find than H.12 and H.14. It began to seem to me that H.13 was a ploy to make me shut up about after-school English.
     Eventually, though, I found H.13. 'I'm sure I have been in this room before', I thought as I opened the door. Oh yes. Oh yes, I had. A row of sinks greeted me. And some mirrors. And some toilet cubicles. No one was there waiting for after-school English. I began to realise that I had advertised to the whole school that class was going to take place in the toilets. 
     Confronting my mentor about the situation was yet another humiliation. 'I must have got confused', she chuckled, and went back to her lunch. 
     And that was the end of after-school English class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment